Oh no it actually isn’t. There aren’t any Reject Shops in New Zealand and I got this from a home interior decorating shop called Feather Your Home. Maybe they are available in those shops but I wouldn’t know.
The name is Watson, Joan Watson. Lucy Liu is set to play Sherlock Holmes’ sidekick in CBS’ drama pilot Elementary, whose tweaks to Arthur Connan Doyle’s classic include switching Watson’s gender to female. The project, written by Robert Doherty, is set in present day and stars Jonny Lee Miller as eccentric Brit Sherlock Holmes, a former consultant to Scotland Yard whose addiction problems led him to a rehab center in New York City. Just out of rehab, Holmes now lives in Brooklyn with “sober companion” Joan Watson (Liu), a former surgeon who lost her license after a patient died, while consulting for the NYPD. Michael Cuesta is directing the pilot, produced by CBS TV Studios and Timberman/Beverly. Ally McBeal alumna Liu, who had 2 pilots vying for her, is recurring on the current season of the TNT cop drama Southland and will next be seen in the feature Man With The Iron Fists.
Okay, I’m extremely conflicted here and I needed to make a post to explain my feelings.
Pro: female co-lead in a potentially huge TV series (not even going to go into the whole race issue right now, it’s obviously relevant but not what I’m focused on for this).
Con: sex-swapping an originally male co-lead character in order to potentially (probably, knowing CBS) initiate a romantic relationship between said co-lead character and the leading character.
I get that Sherlock/John is popular. I get that people beyond us “shippers” see it. I get that it’s a beautifully romantic story between the two characters even without explicit romance. Explicit romance doesn’t need to exist for there to be genuine affection and adoration between two characters.
This is apparently something that CBS (and the majority of the industry at large) isn’t getting. And probably won’t get. At least for a very long time.
Because changing Watson’s sex to female for the sole purpose of furthering a potentially romantic relationship between her and Sherlock is painful. Not to mention ridiculous and extremely self-serving for the heteronormative executives in control of what the media presents to the public to be consumed. They already have enough of this everywhere else. Fucking learn to step off once in a while, you pricks.
In conclusion, I’m not leveling judgment at the show just yet, but if this is where they’re headed with it (which is frighteningly likely), I’m downright disgusted.
So much for progress.
EDIT: I would actually be interested in the dynamic proposed by this show so long as they keep it platonic. Give the female character a reason to exist in the story rather than as the token sexual object to be won by the male. Give her the smarts and strength that you give every male character on television today (hah, that’ll be likely considering this is still such a patriarchal society). We are so conditioned as a society to believe that romance can exist solely between a male and a female. When that’s not the case at all. So yeah. Make Sherlock and Joan equals. Make them friends. Give them the dynamic they have in the original stories. That would be fun to watch.
1) Put your iTunes on shuffle. Give me the first 6 songs that pop up. River Flows in You - Yiruma Lovegame - Lady Gaga There’s a Light - Jay Malinowski My Chosen One - Guillemots No One’s Gonna Love You - Band of Horses Ends in the Ocean - Avalanche City
2) If you could meet anyone on this earth, who would it be? If dead, Leonardo da Vinci. If alive, Steven Moffat.
3) Grab the book nearest to you, turn to page 23, give me line 17. "You, the now familiar whipping boy, but you’re beautiful, he can feel the dogs licking his heart." - A Primer for the Small Weird Loves in Crush by Richard Siken
4) What do you think about most? Writing, and fandom/fanfiction
5) What does your latest text message from someone else say? "Hey you, how you?"
6) Do you sleep with or without on? With pajamas.
7) What’s your strangest talent? Being able to find anything in my house… Or, being able to mostly predict the next song to come up on my ipod’s shuffle.
8) Girls…. (finish the sentence); Boys…. (finish the sentence) Girls, respect yourselves; boys, respect women.
9) Ever had a poem or song written about you? Lol no. Written terrible ones myself though.
10) When is the last time you played the air guitar? Two years ago? I feel too self-conscious for it.
11) Do you have any strange phobias? Only of the dark. And horrible words like moist and squelch.
12) Ever stuck a foreign object up your nose? Define foreign object… >_>
13) What’s your religion? There’s probably a god somewhere, but he doesn’t really give a damn about us.
14) If you are outside, what are you most likely doing? Having milk tea with friends or sitting in a bookstore reading.
15) Do you perfer to be behind the camera or in front of it? Definitely behind. I take better pictures than being in them anyway, since I always close my eyes at the flash.
16) Simple but extremely complex. Favorite band? Death Cab for Cutie and Green Day.
17) What was the last lie you told? "I’m goint to sleep."
18) Do you believe in karma? A little…
19) What does your screen name mean? When the world falls, all that will be left is rust and stardust.
20) What is your greatest weakness; your greatest strength? Greatest weakness would be… procrastination. Greatest strength is probably generosity.
21) Who is your celebrity crush? Uh… Joseph Gordon Levitt, Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law, Ewan McGregor, Colin Firth, Orlando Bloom, Benedict Cumberbatch, Catherine Tate, David Tennant, Nicole Kidman.
22) Have you ever gone skinny dipping? Nope. Too cold.
23) How do you vent your anger? Productively. I clean my room.
24) Do you have a collection of anything? Bookmarks, books, little figurines, recipe books, notebooks (seriously I have like twenty of them and most are blank).
25) Do you perfer talking on the phone or video chatting online? Video chatting online. I hate talking on the phone because it’s so awkward. There are no visual cues or body language to read.
26) Are you happy with the person you’ve become? Not particularly, but it’s what I have.
27) What’s a sound you hate; sound you love? I hate: babies crying, toddlers talking loudly and nails on chalkboard and polystyrene rubbing together. I love: the sound of rain and cellos being played, the laughter of my friends.
28) What’s your biggest “what if”? What if I hadn’t come back six years ago?
29) Do you believe in ghosts? How about aliens? Yes to aliens because it’s improbable that we are alone in this vast universe. No to ghosts because I don’t think there’s anything in the afterlife.
30) Stick your right arm out; what do you touch first? Do the same with your left arm. Right: My little artist’s model figurine. Left: My Starbucks Memory Tumbler.
31) Smell the air. What do you smell? Freshly laundered cotton.
32) What’s the worst place you have ever been to? Some toilet in some godforsaken beach.
33) Choose: East Coast or West Coast? West Coast for United States, East Coast for New Zealand.
34) Most attractive singer of your opposite gender? Jon Bon Jovi. Or Adam Levine.
35) To you, what is the meaning of life? Take pleasure in the little moments. It’s unlikely you’ll ever see the bigger picture but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the scenery.
36) Define: Art. Creative expression of self.
37) Do you believe in luck? Obviously? Everything must be luck unless you believe in predestined fate.
38) What’s the weather like right now? Blindingly sunny, a perfect summer’s day.
39) What time is it? Uh… 5:12 (UTC +12:00)
40) Do you drive? If so, have you ever crashed? Nope. I just use my Jesusmobile - my feet.
41) What was the last book you read? My Most Excellent Year by Steve Kluger.
42) Do you like the smell of gasoline? Hell no. My boyfriend does though, the weirdo.
43) Do you have any nicknames? Jess, or Tong-tong, an abbreviation of my Chinese name.
44) What was the last movie you saw? In the theatre: Chronicle. Not bad actually. On my laptop: Summer Wars.
45) What’s the worst injury you’ve ever had? Nearly split my finger in half lengthwise with a scroll saw.
46) Have you ever caught a butterfly? Plenty. And then set them free of course.
47) Do you have any obsessions right now? Does Sherlock count?
48) What’s your ? ?
49) Ever had a rumor spread about you? Yeah, mostly just childish stuff about who I like etc.
50) Do you believe in magic? Much as I may want to believe otherwise, I don’t think there’s magic.
51) Do you tend to hold grudges against people who have done you wrong? Depends on what they did. Gossiping about me I can forgive, but not if they hurt one of my friends.
52) What is your astrological sign? Virgo/Libra cusp.
53) Do you save money or spend it? Spend, usually.
54) What’s the last thing you purchased? Three books. All my money goes to books actually. I’ve barely had any new clothes these past two years because of it.
55) Love or lust? Love.
56) In a relationship? Yes.
57) Are you a virgin? Nope.
58) Can you touch your nose with your tongue? Unfortunately no…
59) Where were you yesterday? Going to shisha with friends then milk tea.
60) Is there anything pink within 10 feet of you? Uh yes. My phone and my little lucky cat figurine.
61) Are you wearing socks right now? Nope.
62) What’s your favorite animal? Owls, or big cats.
63) What is your secret weapon to get someone to like you? Be funny and genuine.
64) Where is your best friend? This is a weird question… She’s out there somewhere? I don’t have a GPS tracker on her.
65) Spit or swallow? (; Swallow.
66) What is your heritage? What? I’m Taiwanese descended from Chinese, if that’s what you’re asking.
67) What were you doing last night at 12 AM? Smoking a shisha and playing Bullshit.
68) What do you think is Satan’s last name? Eh… McDevil?
69) Be honest. Ever gotten yourself off? Plenty.
70) Are you the kind of friend you would want to have as a friend? Yes.
71) You are walking down the street on your way to work. There is a dog drowning in the canal on the side of the street. Your boss has told you if you are late one more time you get fired. What do you do? Get someone else to get help and save the dog. Also, dogs can instinctively swim so it’s highly unlikely they’d be drowning.
72) You are at the doctor’s office and she has just informed you that you have approximately one month to live. a) Do you tell anyone/everyone you are going to die? b) What do you do with your remaining days? c) Would you be afraid? a) Yes I would. I’m not too big on just up and dying one day and leaving them suddenly. b) I would read and read and read. Possibly travel. Unlikely though. c) Nope. Maybe some regret.
73) You can only have one of these things: trust or love. In the words of Moulin Rouge: “Without trust there is no love!” So I would rather have trust, which is a form of love anyway.
74) What’s a song that always makes you happy when you hear it? Grease - Frankie Valli
75) What are the last four digits in your cell phone number? 2865
76) In your opinion, what makes a great relationship? Humour and respect.
77) How can I win your heart? Be funny and witty. Or talk to me about Sherlock and Doctor Who haha!
78) Can insanity bring on more creativity? Yes. They see things in very different perspectives.
79) What is the single best decision you have made in your life so far? Deciding to read fanfiction?
80) What size shoes do you wear? A large 9…
81) What would you want to be written on your tombstone? Returning to stardust.
82) What is your favorite word? Aesthetic and stardust.
83) Give me the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word: heart. "I will burn the heart out of you."
84) What is a saying you say a lot? At the risk of sounding like a valley girl… "And I’m just like…"
85) What’s the last song you listened to? Cemetry Gates - The Smiths.
86) Basic question: what’s your favorite color/colors? Various shades of red and blue.
87) What is your current desktop picture? All of Finn’s expressions from Adventure Time.
88) If you could press a button and make anyone in the world instantaneously explode, who would it be? Any Conservative. Preferably all of them.
89) What would be a question you’d be afraid to tell the truth on? Do you think you’ll go the distance with him?
90) One night you wake up because you heard a noise. You turn on the light to find that you are surrounded by MUMMIES. The mummies aren’t really doing anything, they’re just standing around your bed. What do you do? Get out of there first then go to the garage for my gun.
91) You accidentally eat some radioactive vegetables. They were good, and what’s even cooler is that they endow you with the super-power of your choice! What is that power? Power over time. To reverse and fastforward the flow.
92) You can re-live any point of time in your life. The time-span can only be a half-hour, though. What half-hour of your past would you like to experience again? That time I fell in love.
93) You can erase any horrible experience from your past. What will it be? How about my father’s entire involvement in my life?
94) You have the opportunity to sleep with the music-celebrity of your choice. Who would it be? Nobody… I might like them but I’m not too keen on shagging them to be honest. I’d be good with an autograph and a nice talk. Maybe some card games.
95) You just got a free plane ticket to anywhere. You have to depart right now. Where are you gonna go? Italy, Italy, Italy.
96) Do you have any relatives in jail? Haha! No.
97) Have you ever thrown up in the car? Nope.
98) Ever been on a plane? Yes. I wish I were on them more.
99) If the whole world were listening to you right now, what would you say? Get your shit together and start working on saving our future, you dipshits.
100) Give me your top 5 favorite blogs on Tumblr. flapperorslapper/virginiachance stfuconservatives inklou brodinsons sketchlock
I’ve never EVER done one of these before but I’m really stressed and could use the thought of something delightful to come home to yaknow okay yeah please ahghas;dflkasdj
I don't get this Irene hate - she's just like Sherlock.
1. Yeah she is a lesbian who develops feelings for Sherlock.
2. Yeah she is a woman who ‘needed’ (only using that term lightly) Moriarty to help her pull off her plan. (We don’t know her dealings with Jim, we can’t say she either needed his help or was forced into his employ)
3. And yeah she is a sex worker dominatrix and extremely cunning woman who became a damsel in distress in the last moment and needed a man to save her.
(This is only some of the main points brought up in the Irene Adler Furor)
But did you miss the part where she goddamn played Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes like freakin’ fiddles of gold?
I’m not saying I’m about to wave banners and march in the I LOVE IRENE parade because there were some parts of her character I really didn’t dig, but really, everyone. All this hate is because she’s a woman and we’ll never be happy with how they’re portrayed in the media, whether they’re too innocent, too sexy, too headstrong, too much in need of (masculine) help, too nurturing, too violent, too weak or too whatever. WE are the ones crucifying her character because of her gender, because Moffat wrote her and apparently he’s got beef with women, because Irene isn’t what we expected, what we wanted, what the original was like.
Moffat doesn’t owe us shit to be honest and if he wants to write Irene as being in love with Sherlock instead of Norton, or as a lesbian, or as just a woman, as a person with foibles and flaws instead of some idealised Virgin who can do no wrong or some kinda Amazon who needs no man - then that’s his prerogative. She’s human, she has feelings, and she is maybe a bit too intelligent for her own good. HEY, JUST LIKE SHERLOCK.
1. Yeah she is a lesbian who develops feelings for Sherlock. 1a. Sherlock is a self-proclaimed sociopath who develops camaraderie and feelings (friendship, slash, whatever, it’s affection of some kind and you cannot deny it) for John. And John reciprocated that feeling, and yet you don’t see many getting up in arms about it.
2. Yeah she is a woman who ‘needed’ (only using that term lightly) Moriarty to help her pull off her plan. 2a. Sherlock consistently needed help from the homeless network, the Yard, various people that owe him favours, and of course, John. And some of those people, believe it or not, were WOMEN! *le gasp!* Not exactly ending the world there, is it.
3. And yes she is a sex worker dominatrix who became a damsel in distress in the last moment and needed a man to save her. 3a. Sherlock Holmes is a genius and apparently sociopathic consulting detective with some impressive fighting skills and hey, he needed to be rescued by John in episode one (and will most likely still need rescuing). And it’s not even because he was caught and forced into a dangerous situation like Irene, but because of his own goddamn stupidity to WILLINGLY follow a confirmed serial killer and stay and take the bloody pill. And then, he arranged a rendezvous with a confirmed bomber and criminal mastermind and giving said mastermind plenty of time to set up a trap. If Sherlock were suddenly a woman, then SUDDENLY it’s all about John rescuing the damsel and then insulting her by calling her an idiot rather than telling it like it is because Sherlock IS an incurable idiot.
Irene is here to stay, people. Either sexually/intellectually involved with or just intellectually rivalling Sherlock is up to Godtiss and Trollfat. Either way, our shipping stays unharmed and free to frolic on the internet unmolested by canon because it’s all about interpreting it in your own way. Stop trying to idealise and demonise Irene. She had plenty of character flaws, but let’s stick to the ones that’s NOT about her being a woman.